Navigating the Skies
London, a city that never sleeps, is a bustling metropolis filled with iconic landmarks, historic sites, and a vibrant culture that beckons travellers from around the world. While exploring the city’s treasures on foot or by car is undoubtedly an unforgettable experience, there’s a unique and exhilarating way to see London from a different perspective – by helicopter.
Where Can You Land a Helicopter in London?
Landing a helicopter in London requires careful planning and following aviation regulations.
London boasts several options for helicopter landings:
- Private Properties: Some individuals and corporations in London have private helipads on their properties. These helipads are typically used for business or personal travel, providing a convenient way to access the city.
- London Heliports: London is home to a few dedicated heliports, designed to accommodate helicopter traffic. These heliports are strategically located, making them ideal for various purposes, including tourism, business travel, and emergency services.
- Public Spaces: In certain situations, helicopters can land in public spaces, such as parks or open areas. However, this requires special permissions and is subject to strict regulations to ensure safety and minimise disruption.
The London Helicopter Tours Depart from Which Central London Location?
If you’re eager to embark on an unforgettable aerial adventure over London’s iconic landmarks, the London Helicopter Tours depart from a central location that offers convenience and breathtaking views.
The departure point for London Helicopter Tours is typically the Battersea Heliport. Situated on the banks of the River Thames, this heliport provides an ideal launchpad for your adventure. It offers easy access to the heart of London while treating you to stunning views of the city’s skyline, including landmarks like the Shard, the London Eye, and Buckingham Palace.
Why Battersea Heliport?
Battersea Heliport is strategically located, making it convenient for both locals and tourists. It’s easily accessible from central London and provides a picturesque backdrop for your helicopter tour. Before your flight, you can relax in the comfortable lounge and enjoy refreshments while soaking in the anticipation of the journey ahead.
Heliports in London
As mentioned earlier, London is home to several dedicated heliports that facilitate helicopter travel within and around the city.
Some of the prominent heliports in London:
- Battersea Heliport (EGLW): Located in Wandsworth, South London, Battersea Heliport is one of the busiest heliports in the UK. It’s a key departure point for London helicopter tours and a favoured choice for business and leisure travellers.
- London Biggin Hill Airport (EGKB): While primarily a general aviation airport, London Biggin Hill also offers helicopter services. It’s conveniently located in Bromley, South London, making it accessible for both private and commercial helicopter flights.
- London Oxford Airport (EGTK): Situated approximately 40 miles from central London, London Oxford Airport serves as a gateway for travellers seeking a mix of convenience and less crowded airspace for their helicopter flights.
- Redhill Aerodrome (EGKR): Located south of London, Redhill Aerodrome provides another option for helicopter operations. It’s well-connected to the city and offers a range of aviation services.
- London Heliport (EGLC): Situated in London’s Royal Docks, London Heliport caters primarily to business aviation and charter services. It offers a unique approach to landing in central London, with the city’s skyline as a backdrop.
In addition to these heliports, private helipads at select hotels, corporate offices, and other locations in London cater to the specific needs of their users. These helipads play a crucial role in enhancing convenience for travellers and facilitating essential services such as medical evacuations and executive travel.
Beyond Battersea: Exploring London’s Landing Sites
London’s diverse landscape provides several alternative landing sites, allowing you to tailor your helicopter journey to your specific needs and interests.
1. Sporting Events in Style
Are you headed to a sporting event in London? Look no further than Wembley and Twickenham, both equipped with nearby landing locations. After landing, it’s just a short walk or a convenient courtesy car ride to the venue. Whether you’re attending the Six Nations rugby tournament or a thrilling football cup final, we not only place you in the heart of the action but also ensure a seamless departure when the event concludes.
2. Business and Pleasure Combined
For business travellers, we offer landing options close to the ExCeL arena in the Docklands. This is an ideal choice if you’re entertaining clients at an exhibition or conducting business affairs in East London. Additionally, we have a landing site on the Isle of Dogs for those visiting Canary Wharf.
Once you’re in London, your adventure doesn’t have to end immediately. Whether you require accommodations, dining recommendations, or tickets to a show, the Atlas Helicopters Operations Team excels at organising every aspect of your itinerary with meticulous attention to detail.
The following day, when it’s time to depart, Battersea Heliport provides a convenient takeoff point. With Paris, Brussels, and Manchester just 90 minutes away by helicopter, Atlas Helicopters ensures you’re perfectly positioned to continue your business tour with minimal travel time wasted.
In summary, while Battersea Heliport is a central and well-connected choice for landing in London, our extensive network of landing sites across the city allows you to tailor your helicopter journey to your specific needs and preferences. Whether you’re here for business, pleasure, or a bit of both, Atlas Helicopters ensures you have a seamless and unforgettable experience in the vibrant and dynamic city of London.
Helicopter Landing Sites in London
London’s helicopter landing sites and heliports open up a world of opportunities for travellers seeking unique and efficient ways to explore the city. Whether you’re embarking on a thrilling helicopter tour over London’s iconic landmarks or using a helicopter for business or personal travel, these landing sites provide the perfect gateway to the skies above the British capital.
So, the next time you find yourself in London, consider adding a helicopter experience to your itinerary – it’s a surefire way to make your visit truly unforgettable.